This June, the IRS launched a new Non-filer Sign-up tool on its website, www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/child-tax-credit-non-filer-sign-up-tool.
Although this non-filer portal is labeled as for non-filers claiming advance payments of the child tax credit, it is also available for others, including single individuals and people experiencing homelessness. It will allow individuals to provide their information to the IRS so that they can receive any of the three Economic Impact Payments (EIPs), also known as “stimulus payments,” that they may be missing. If an individual did not get the full amounts of the EIPs, they may use this tool if they:
- Are not required to file a 2020 tax return, didn’t file a 2020 tax return, and don’t plan to.
- Want to claim the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit (which covers the first and second EIPs) and get their third EIP.
When using the new non-filer portal, individuals will need to provide:
- Full name;
- Current mailing address;
- Email address;
- Date of birth;
- Valid Social Security numbers (or other taxpayer IDs) for the person completing the form (and their dependents, if any);
- Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) if received from the IRS earlier this year; and
- Bank account number, type, and routing number (optional).
The new Non-filer Sign-up tool is for people who did not file a tax return for 2019 or 2020, and who did not use the IRS Non-filers tool last year to register for Economic Impact Payments.
Contact Justice in Aging for more information by phone at (202) 289-6976, email at email@example.com or visit their website at justiceinaging.org.