Happy National Nutrition Month! Every March the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics selects a certain topic to feature during this momentous month. This year, the theme is “Personalize Your Plate” with a focused topic each week, as shown below. Some other tips and tricks for making healthy additions include adding fruit with breakfast, getting creative by trying vegetables that are new to you, experimenting with preparing your favorite vegetables in new ways, selecting whole grains, and trying new sources of protein such as lentils and nuts.
Week One: Eat a variety of nutritious foods every day!
- Include healthful foods from all food groups
- Hydrate healthfully
- Learn how to read Nutrition Facts Panels
- Avoid distractions while eating
- Take time to enjoy your food
Week Two: Plan your meals each week!
- Use a grocery list to shop for healthful foods
- Be menu-savvy when dining out
- Choose healthful eating at school and at work
- Plan healthful eating while traveling
Week Three: Learn skills to create tasty meals!
- Keep healthful ingredients on hand
- Practice proper home food safety
- Share meals together as a family when possible
- Reduce food waste
- Try new flavors and foods
Week Four: Consult a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN)!
- Ask your doctor for a referral to an RDN
- Receive personalized nutrition advice to meet your goals
- Meet RDNs in a variety of settings throughout the community
- Find an RDN who is specialized to serve your unique needs
- Thrive through the transformative power of food and nutrition