By Megan Crockett, Nutrition Program Director
The topic of nostalgia has come up many times in discussion around food and favorite memories. Do you have fond memories of baking holiday recipes with your mom? Is there a special dish that she prepared for your Birthday each year? Which recipes of your mothers do you still prepare? We will have a special feature of these recipes in next month’s paper! If you have a story or recipe you wish to share we would love to hear it! How special to honor mom by sharing the love and memories translated through food. If you would like to share please submit your favorite recipes from mom, a recipe that reminds you of mom, or a story of a fond memory preparing food with mom.
You can mail a copy to Senior Services at the address below, or email to Megan Crockett, Nutrition Program Director at email@example.com. Mailing Address: Senior Services; Attn: Megan Crockett, 4700 Dublin Ave; Midland, MI 48642
We also invite you to join us for lunch on Friday, May 6th in honor of Mother’s Day. We are grateful for all of the moms in our lives!
The recipe below for Spinach Lasagna is my favorite one of my mom’s. I used to request this for my Birthday!
- Lasagna noodles
- 1 small pkg frozen, chopped spinach
- 1 carton cottage cheese
- 1 carton ricotta cheese
- 1 pkg mozzarella cheese
- 1 large jar of spaghetti sauce (Prego-green pepper and mushroom)
- 1 tsp. chopped garlic to taste
- 1 egg
- Boil noodles and let cool.
- Cook spinach according to package directions (microwave works best) and squeeze out all excess water.
- Mix cooked spinach, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, garlic and egg in a bowl.
- Layer noodles, spinach-cheese mixture, sauce and mozzarella cheese in a baking pan.
- Top it with a layer of noodles, sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.